Monday, August 15, 2011

Back, back in the U.S. Groove

After a month-long tour of Europe, it feels so wonderful (and a little strange) to be home! We spent our last few days in Switzerland (watching the Sound of Music on our bus whilst driving through the Alps), and it was so beautiful! The places we went were so unique from each other, and this was no exception. Though it replaced Egypt on our initial itinerary, I think it was worth it.
So we started out in Geneva-weird to go from boiling hot and humid in Italy to possibly winter jacket worthy weather in Switzerland. Not my favorite place, possibly due to the fact that I was tired, hungry and to solve the problem of being hungry had to pay $13 for a McDonald's meal. Not happy. However, the surrounding area of French-speaking Switzerland was unbelievable! We went on a tour of the United Nations, Nestle headquarters (internship PLEASE)and Chateau de Chillon and then on to the German-speaking part of Switzerland.
I absolutely LOVED this area. Granted, I've heard about the Lauterbrunnen Valley from both of my parents for practically my entire life, so I think I was bound to love it. The first night we were there, we went inside a mountain to see a waterfall inside of it, and it was really cool! (Literally) The next day, we got up early and rode a cable car up to the Schilthorn and ate the James Bond buffet breakfast (On Her Majesty's Secret Service was filmed there). To. Die. For. Especially the delicious hot chocolate and waffles. And the view! So so beautiful!
Basically, my Switzerland experience was filled with loads of wonderful hikes around beautiful and scenic mountains complete with cowbells ringing in the air (Yes, Hairspray's 'I Can Hear the Bells' was constantly in my head.) It was an absolutely wonderful way to end my European experience, and I will most definitely make it back there at some point in my life.
I can't believe that the Study Abroad is actually over, but now that it is, posts will definitely not be as frequent (unless everyone wants to hear about me going to the library, packing, etc.. thrilling, right?)
Back to Provo soon, but I'm going to appreciate the East Coast while I still have it! On to Deep Creek Lake, Maryland tomorrow (I guess my vacation is ongoing)

No comments:

Post a Comment